Missed the presentation? Watch the video HERE!
If you’re wondering if you have an inner entrepreneur, the October 27th Speak to Me event was a not to miss evening.
Accomplished and successful entrepreneurs Christin Powell (EVER Skincare & Juice Beauty), Pamela Giusto-Sorrells (Pamela’s Products) and Pam Marcus (Lifefactory) each shared candid insights, the ups and downs, triumphs and challenges and unexpected double standards they tackled while building their businesses from the ground up.
Here are some of the highlights of the evening:
1. Some of the best companies are born from a personal concern and passion for finding a better way.
- Pamela Marcus was a feeding therapist for infants in the NICU and was concerned that they were fed from disposable plastic. LifeFactory was born from her desire to create a chemical- free glass alternative that was durable and reusable.
- Christin Powell was working hard in her 20’s but lacked passion for her work, when she received an unexpected skin cancer diagnosis. Her search for safe healthy skin care products led to the creation of Juice Beauty.
- Pamela Giusto-Sorrells didn’t think it was fair for children with celiac to have to eat food that tasted like cardboard. She founded Pamela’s Products to develop safe products for celiac children that actually tasted fantastic.
2. Being successful is doing what you love and helping others. And it’s definition evolves over time.
- Pamela Marcus still feels successful when she sees her products being used around the world helping people live a healthier life. She now feels most successful when she is inspiring and mentoring others on pollution and the environment.
- Christin Powell was driven as a young entrepreneur to grow her business and work hard, but now finds success in doing something she loves, and being a role model for her kids and friends.
- Pamela Giusto-Sorrells’ initial success was measured in simply paying her bills and delivering tasty products to kids who are celiac. That evolved over many years into a desire to enjoy the ride, love what she does, and deliver stability and a good quality of life to her own family and her employees.
3. “Focus” – Pamela Marcus
- When you are running a business it’s easy to get distracted by new ideas, but you need to stay focused on your core objective.
4. “The paths we choose are the curriculum of our lives” – Christin Powell
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. Lighten up and enjoy the game. You can find opportunity and gifts even in the worst situations.
5. “Don’t second guess yourself to excess.” – Pamela Giusto-Sorrells
- Give yourself credit for having a good idea and move forward with it.
Check out the full presentation HERE for more on:
- What myths you had to bust?
- How do you balance family & work?
- Which personal traits have been most helpful in building your business?
- Who would do it all again, and who might not, and
- Much, much more…
- Book: Spiraling Upward – The 5 Co-creative Powers For Women On The Rise
- Newsletter: Text 66866 to receive Wendy’s newsletter, receive a free chapter of Spiraling Upward, and a special bonus worksheet called “The 6 Rs to Transforming a Thought.” To be used anytime you find yourself in a negative thought loop or a downward spiral.
Christin Powell – EVER Skincare
Pam Marcus – Lifefactory
- Personal Website: http://pammarcus.com/
- Lifefactory Website: www.lifefactory.com
- Articles: Eco SXSW, Plasticity Forum
Pamela Giusto-Sorells – Pamela’s Products
- Pamela’s Products website: http://www.pamelasproducts.com/